Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Right To Choice

WV Right To Life is staging a campaign, with help from a few of our state senators, to remove abortions as part of the health care system for the poor. Meaning, the health care program for poor women in the state would no longer pay for abortions. This would leave many women in WV with no choice. Children would be born into poverty in a family that did not want them.

The spokesperson for WV RTL was on a local radio show this week and made the comment that there were no women receiving back room abortions or home abortions so it wasn't an issue.

Maddam, do you understand sub standard care and homemade abortions are not an issue in this state because present health care provides abortions for those that have made the difficult choice?

The statement shows her age. Were she into her 50's she would remember the whispers of those who had been taken to the hospital with complications.

IF abortions are removed from the list of approved proceedures that the state pays for, you will see illness and injuries return from "homemade" abortions and doctors who do back alley terminations in unsanitary and unsafe settings.

If the only reason to remove abortion from health care in WV has a resonating religious ring to it then let's stop now. Doing so would be prejudical and simply wrong.

I don't advocate abortion. I think there are other options that should be explored first but in no way do I believe the state - or any other entity - should be providing this for the mother.

If you believe abortions are wrong, then advocate help for those women who need child care to work. Advocate the system help families survive instead of punishing them twice - once by denying the abortion and the second time by denying them aid to stay afloat. Advocate adoptions be made simplier and that social worker numbers be increased to stop the abuses of over worked staffers who care, but who are overwhelmed with their case loads.

It's a front. The call to stop abortions is a superficial front.
If you care about people, about children, abortion will be the LAST issue you campaign on.

5 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I will state my thoughts on this,but I will say first and foremost that Iam a male,and though I am a fairly (very??) liberal person,I am guilty of some preconceived notions that may in some ways taint my comments although it is not my intention to do so.

I feel that any objections I may have about abortion are outweighed by the difficult
decision that must be made by those who would require such a procedure and the difficulty they would have in making that decision.I don't feel that I have the right or that it would be my place to interject my personal religious or political opinions on someone who may need to make such a difficult and personal decision.Of course there are some who can and do make that decision fairly easily,but I think that is the exception,not the rule.A decision to have such an invasive procedure done (and again,remember,I speak as a male,so I make no claim of any knowledge about this subject except as an uninvolved observer).
For you guys out there,think about how you feel about having that rectal exam,then multiply it by maybe 100 x;I can only imagine the difficulty a woman would have in making the decision to do this to her own body.
The interjection of the will of others on those who must make a decision of such a personal
moral,religious and political nature because of their own desire to exert some level of control in the name of a higher power violates the personal rights of the woman who is already facing the most difficult decision she will ever make.
The status of the fetus,whether considered a living organism or a parasite within the mothers womb,is yet to be established within the definition of the law.Until it is,we need to allow those who faced with such a decision the right and choice regardless of our personal opinion;we need to realise that the choice of what we do to our bodies,regardless of gender,is the choice of the individual and not the choice of an entity that will be unaffected by that decision or its consequences.
p-

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Senihele said...

I agree, Phil. I don't think it's an easy decision for women. Some may make it easily but I don't believe the large majority do. I can't imagine the agony of deciding whether to have a baby you know you're not going to be able to feed or to have the abortion. Very difficult decision.
But as long as it is a legal medical proceedure it should NOT be denied poor women.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

it should not be denied any woman.
I,personally,am not a fan of abortion.But its isn't my decision to make,especially for someone else.I've always lived by a saying-the situation dictates the response-and if a persons situation requires that they make a decision as difficult and wrenching as this,I will offer my advice if asked and my support as necessary,but I will not try to dictate the terms of the help I offer,and I don't want to add to the persons stress by setting terms on my support.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best way to reduce the number of abortions that are performed is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.

Why is it that those who are most opposed to abortion also seem to be opposed to comprehensive sex education and making birth control available to everyone who wants it?

If it's because they are afraid their children will become sexually active I have news for them. They already are.

To deny them the knowledge and material they need to protect themselves from unwanted pregnancy (as well as STDs) borders on child-abuse (in my opinion).

Mac

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Senihele said...

Why is it that Americans have such a fear of sex, even when it's in an educational forum designed to stop unwanted pregnancies? There's a hypocrisy there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home