Wednesday, August 12, 2009

So you say you're a Christian

Good. Maybe you can answer some things for me because I don't understand some of the "Christian" logic.

How can you call yourself a Christian and then judge those in poverty? Didn't Christ say "judge not less you be judged"? How can you condemn them as shiftless or unwilling to work especially without even meeting them? How can that attitude be reconciled with Christ's message?

How can you offer to pray for the well being of people and then want to deny them health care? You'll pray for God to heal them but aren't willing to support the programs that might do the same? Did you ever think that the answer to your prayers might be you?

How can you be pro life and then not care about the quality of life those children live? How can you resent the medical and nutritional programs designed to keep that precious life that you advocated so hard for, healthy?

How can you call yourself a Christian and then judge or condemn another's opinion as less than Christ like if it differs from yours?

How can you profess Christianity and then seek to disrupt the process established to represent all by angry shouts and angry words?

How can you call yourself Christian and then deny the least of these? Wasn't that one of the mandates of Christ? And didn't he say when you attended them you would be attending Him? Or do you get to pick and chose who is and isn't worthy of help? Was that in his message? Could you show me where because I've missed it?

How can you call yourself a Christian and then not uphold the greatest of these? To love your fellow man as yourself. The greatest of these is love. Where is the love in the anger? Where is the love when you treat those without as simply lazy freeloaders? I see the judging but where is the love?

How can you call yourself Christian and then call into question a man's heritage simply because he's black? And please, let's not cloak that debate in the more politically correct terms. We both know much of this dissent is motivated by racism. Do you realize Christ wasn't white, despite the many portraits American's cling to that portray him as such.

We must be worshipping two different Christian Gods because I don't believe mine would ever uphold the greedy, condemning, judgemental words I'm hearing from "Christians" today.

I don't get it. I don't get how true Christians or Americans can turn their backs on those in need and then still claim the title of either.

When are we going to put our money where our mouth is? When do we begin to live up to the rhetoric we proclaim?

When will God be pleased with our actions and words? I'm sure He isn't now.

7 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Teresa G said...

I couldn't agree more. I am a Christian and doing so requires a HUGE amount of responsibility on my part to live up to the directives and example of Christ. What you have written is true in regard to those who call themselves Christians, but it is also true for anyone that associates themselves with a particular religious/secular/social group. It is the simplest of things: our words must match our actions! Period. No doubt, all of us are flawed people and we can talk a good game. The true test is action and what motivates that action. I hope all (fill in your particular group) take a look in the mirror, call upon their own to "walk the walk" and realize that most of us are just a paycheck or two away from catastrophe and we could easily be relying on the support of our fellow man sooner than we think.

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something to consider, Seni. Is a Christian following Christ by calling on someone else to do what Christ told the Christian to do?

I'd probably fit into that category of Christian that you address, I suppose. I believe that the Bible, in its original language, was inspired by God, verbim ad literim. I believe that God has preserved it for all the languages that have proceeded over the ages out of the tower of Babel. I believe the events in the Bible that were recorded as historical events happened as recorded, including the earth stopping, for instance.

I don't want the government doing what the Constitution doesn't authorize it to do. That has nothing to do with not wanting these people you describe to have the assistance you describe. The only way one can tie those two together is to say that the government is either (1)the only way these people can get what they need (and thus deny that God can do it) or (2)hold that the government is God's action department on earth (something about the separation of church and state there).

Please don't mix the two points. Wanting government to adhere to the principle (in the Constitution) that it cannot do what the Constitution does not explicitly authorize is not the same thing as wanting to deny the assistance that people need. It's simply not.

There are those, of course, who want to deny that assistance, and if one wishes to address that tiny percentage, that's another matter, but that's not what I read you to be doing.

As for the racism... no, not at large. Here and there, yeah, and both ways. For the most part, in most people? No, not really. It's a red herring, and a very highly charged red herring. Ergo, it has a lot of power, and it therefore gets brought out for the political uses you said you want to avoid. I'm sorry, kiddo, but you can't avoid them. Those who drag out the race card have made that impossible for you.

Otherwise, I hope all is going well in your world. If I get the chance to go on that fishing trip that takes me by your town this fall, I'll wave as I pass by.

Al
Al from WV (who forgot his Google sign in data)

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Senihele said...

Al, the constitution doesn't discuss public schools, a massive federally maintained infrastructure, social security, medicare and a host of other programs that health care would fall right in line with.

At 53, I'm not a kiddo and I see and hear racism every single day. It's been ramped up with the use of new buzz words but it's is very prevelant.

The question is still unanswered. I don't understand Christians refusing to supply health care for those in need.

Will God be pleased? Yes, if we think of others first. Not on our present course.

Hang in there, Al. Good hearing from you.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Senihele said...

One other thing, Al, in the number of those threats against Obama is many, i;m sure, that aren't serious and aren't reported. Including two teens in my area that said they'd kill him themselves if he came here, and that's not even counting the number of public figures who have made inappropriate and intimidating comments. Racism is alive and well.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Kiddo" is a general term, and not meant in any sort of deriding way. I would have thought you'd have known that about me by now.

I don't see ANY Christians refusing to supply health care for those in need. NOTHING in that is about "no health care for them." EVERYTHING it is is about "it's not the government's job to turn into God, and supply our every need."

Thinking of others first is thinking of OTHERS first, NOT thinking of how to get the government to do what people aren't willing to do themselves.

I'm 54, and I know what you have seen as a kid. I KNOW the pool and the school you speak of, I know them personally. I also KNOW I see a LOT less racism than I used to. It is not gone, not by any means.

I also know I see a LOT of stuff that is not racist called "racist" just for the power of the term. I see it, and it IS there to be seen.

I kind of think I've stirred up something here that is not wanted, however, so with that, I thank you honestly for your kind wishes, and I promise not to continue to stir it up.

Take care.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Senihele said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Senihele said...

Al, I have to approve posts before they're published. If you'd been stirring something not wanted I'd not have published them. :)

Again, the government maintains many public services. I see this in the same category. I hear a lot that it's not about denying care but in the end that's exactly what happens.

You may see a lot less racism, I have seen a resurgence, including two teens in the past three weeks who have indicated they'd like to be the means of his demise. What's more concerning is that teens don't come up with this on their own. They regurgiate what they hear at home.

Man, WV. Someone was interviewed and spoke highly of Obama yet said he wouldn't vote for him. When asked why he replied he "wouldn't vote for no *n*."

I strongly disagree that racism has disminished as much as you think. The buzzwords have just changed. The prejudice remains.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home