Sunday, May 07, 2006

Do you see a war on Christianity? Comments from the Washington Post.

The opinions still reflect a wide range of ideas. Honestly, I don't know where some get the ideas they have. I don't see the war on Christianity. I see disgreements with indoctrinating any public entity with religious overtones but that is not a war on Christianity as much as a war on our constitution, imo.

I grow so tired of getting emails that ask me to forward and support prayer in school. Excuse me. When was prayer outlawed? Any child can choose to bow his head and say a prayer at any given time. Are "they" trying to say that prayer has to be aloud?

Another myth is that the pledge isn't said anymore. Bull. It certainly is. I can't force a child to pledge alligence to any flag but I can ask them to stand and be quiet as the pledge is said. Know what? In all the years I've taught this has never been an issue and I've never had a child who didn't automatically cover his heart with his hand and say the pledge.

We are not a nation of people who avoid prayer and pledges. Keeping distance between religion and government does not mean moral values are not included in our daily lives.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6050500952.html

It's an interesting list of comments.

2 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ross said...

I'm convinced that much of what these "war on Christianity" people talk about are hypotheticals. They're things that can happen, but haven't. Sure, I could have some kid in my class not want to pledge allegience, but it's never happened. Or that I'm going to squash a child who wants to pray in class. I've never had a kid want to pray in class, but if one did, I don't think I'd try to stop that.
I look at what happens when religion influences government. That's when you get Hezbullah, the Taliban, extremist governments, things like that. If we allow religion to fuse with government in America, I almost think that the whole Neo-Con conspiracy may ring true.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Senihele said...

I think it's a talking point used to ralley the religious right into a voting frenzy.

I tell my high schoolers that no one can force them to pledge alligence but that I can ask them to remain quiet during that time. I've never had a child fail to stand when the pledge is said.

Our school has a prayer club. They don't meet during school time. They do have an academic sponsor as all clubs are required to have, but the organization is student led.

Before a performance last year I had students who gathered together on their own to say a short prayer. Any child may say a silent prayer at any time during the day.

Why does religion have to be a spectacle?

The restrictions on religion aka the war on Christianity, simply doesn't exist. I believe it's because government isn't infused with religion that the "war" is toted as an issue.

They must, they absolutely must remain separate to insure freedom and equality.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home