Thursday, October 20, 2005

"Mier'd" In Contraversy

When Bush first nominated Harriet Miers I took a "wait and see" type of attitude. There was a burst of opposition that didn't appear to have much of a foundation. I wasn't interested in seeing her bashed simply because Bush nominated her. He *is* going to appoint the next supreme court judge despite how much concern I and others might have for his choices.

At first glance, Miers didn't appear to be that bad a choice. She had, after all, supported gay rights before her religious conversion. Surely, I thought to myself, some of that attitude had to remain.

I now fear the indoctrination has gone too far.

The rhetoric coming from the white house leads me to believe that Harriet Miers is exactly the woman the religious right want on SCOTUS. I do believe that she would vote to overturn Roe vs Wade and believe that she would deny that the right of privacy exists or is certainly implied by the constitution.

But more than that, Miers has had close ties with George Bush since his early political days. She has been intricately involved in Bush and his policies for decades. If she were seated on the court, how many possible conflicts of interest would she face and can we trust her to recuse herself when they arise?

I'd rather have supreme court members that are free of strong political attachment but I fear Bush would rather stack the deck than guarantee democracy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home